Sunday, April 18, 2010

It isn't a matter of if but a matter of when. . . that and people learn how to freaking corner

After yesterday I awoke with my legs feeling on empty, yesterday's pace really put a hurt in the legs and I tried anything I could to get them to recover some for a descent showing today, after we had an 8am Cat 5 race and the Cat 4/5 race at 2:15, our final Cat 5 race.

Luis arrives a few minutes late after having a random nose bleed and not getting it to stop. But after that we are on our way, it was chilly, mid 30s with surprisingly little wind. We arrive on time and start setting up and get registered.

You know I thought the Ipod printing off the registrations was neat that we had yesterday and thought we did a great job of hosting the event but man I really have to give it up to DC Velo, these guys put on a top notch program. The course was marked excellently, with 1km, 500m, 300m, 200m, 100m and i think 50m signs up the hill. Also they had every single little manhole spray painted with arrows leading up to them so you knew where they were. They had a tent with breakfast, for all racers, coffee, bagels, nutella, cream cheese, the works. Superb jobs guys.

With the wind staying calm I decided to put the deep section wheels on as I didnt have to worry about the wind as much today. I then get on the trainer for about 15 minutes just to get the blood flowing my legs were still feeling relatively numb and my HR was low, a sign that I could be exhausted, which I knew I was feeling from the moment I woke up. While on the trainer he I yelled over to Luis, 9 and 10, all we have to do is stay up right, he said yup, but I would love to get another top 5. Honestly I was thinking the same thing, it would pretty sweet but I knew there were some fresh legs and being a circuit race it wasnt suiting my long course style.

As we go to line up I caught up with a Matt from NCVC, I have talked with him at previous races and he said he has read the blog. I was joking with him how I just wanted to sit in and not do anything he kind of laughed it off as other times I have said that I always went off the front. Well the whistle was blown and the race was off. Luis attacked right off the line, I lead out the group keeping a cautious pace as I wasnt sure what Luis had in mind. We made our way around the course and as I was pushing on the pedals it seemed like my heart didnt want to respond, hard to describe but just wasnt feeling it.

As we rounded the course we came to the downhill part, again people part of the title learn how to corner, watch some freaking F1 races, rally car, ALMS, speed world challange, rolex, anything besides NASCRAP learn how to hit an apex of a turn.

So I was leading the race at this point, I had no problems as I was told that some people dont like to take this turn at speed or take it at the wrong angle. Well jesus people it doesnt take much rocket science for you to follow the man in front (me) who is obviously taking the turn the fastest as any one in our race. It honestly seemed like I was putting a gap into the field every time I took this turn and people would have to sprint to catch back up to me, no issues I was honestly wasnt trying anything today I just dont like wasting energy and time.

On the third lap I think it was, Matt Davis from NCVC goes off the front, the same guy that won yesterdays Chantilly crit, and he rides solo for a few laps until our teammate Lance decided to bridge up to him. We kept them in our sights for most of the race but Luis and I along with a couple other NCVC guys kept the field under control and letting them stay out there. There would be a few attempts but they would all get reeled back in within a lap.

So it comes down to the final lap, approaching the start of the lap my legs werent feeling it, every lap we had to do the climb they just werent putting out like they usually do and the entire field would pass me on the up hill as I would just take my time, although its kind of funny how I made my way back to front at the end of every lap for the turn.

Well the pace definitely picked up the last lap it felt like, we pretty much knew that Lance and Matt were away for the race and there was one other guy in a light blue jersey who tried to go off but couldnt last and we caught right before the turn.
At the start of the hill I watched Luis climb up the hill and make his way all the way up to third then all of the sudden I heard a crash. Well as I crested the hill I saw the silver seven laying on the ground and I could tell it was Luis' bike I got up there to see him laying on the ground. I put my bike on the curb, get his bike, and the other guys, as the medic and plenty of others had already surrounded the two laying on the ground.

After moving the bikes I make my way over there and Luis was getting checked out by the medic after saying his hit his head, and he wanted to be cautious not to move any more. He retained all of his feeling and we help him on his feet. We gather the bike and make our way back to the car slowly.

What I had heard from witnesses was this racer was spent and pretty much slammed his wheel in to Luis' rear triangle taking him out. Luis said all the sudden he felt only his front wheel on the ground and knew this wasnt going to be good so he just fell with it.

Upon inspection of his gear, the bike appeared to be ok except for scuffed saddle and brake lever. His helmet did its job and took most of the impact and busting, he did get some road rash on his arms, collar bone and I think he said hip.

As the old adage goes, it isn't a matter of if but a matter of when in racing. We hung around for the awards to see Lance get his second place trophy and then headed home shortly after. What a weekend, now just to submit my request for an upgrade which hopefully gets approved in time for Farmersville this weekend.

8 comments:

LAI said...

It will be a memorable last 5 race.

Quick Fitness Coach said...

It's not "your" line, it doesn't matter to me what you did in the previous 8 laps. The race or its lines aren't dictated by YOU! You "assume" I don't know how to corner...maybe I just wanted to TAKE your precious line and ride my race, NOT yours. Are you aware that you have quite the reputation? And its not because of your positive race results or because you're a good guy...it's because you have a big mouth, an even bigger head and you are a legend IN YOUR OWN MIND!

Quick Fitness Coach said...

It's not "your" line, it doesn't matter to me what you did in the previous 8 laps. The race or its lines aren't dictated by YOU! You "assume" I don't know how to corner...maybe I just wanted to TAKE your precious line and ride my race, NOT yours. Are you aware that you have quite the reputation? And its not because of your positive race results or because you're a good guy...it's because you have a big mouth, an even bigger head and you are a legend IN YOUR OWN MIND!

fredyfred said...

I'm sure Long & Foster appreciate you dropping the F bomb throughout the race. I hope there agents are not so unprofessional.

Res Firma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Res Firma said...

Way to Stay Classy Noob (at least you have the nickname correct..lol ), many other Mabra racers are starting to give you more 'explicit' nicknames...so just race, as you're now becoming 'that guy', and not in a good way from what is being said about you.... (had a typo in original post...)

Pat Green said...

Wow...looks like I picked a good weekend to take off. If you call suffering up and down hill repeats "off".

You see stuff in cycling media by the likes of Amstrong, Contador, and whoever you like. And you wonder...why can't these guys just get along?

The reason is simple, they all think they are, or can become the best...and they want to WIN. I know that most of us racing out in this part of the world will probably never see the pro tour, or make it to Cat1...but we're all here because we have an ego, and we want to kick some butt. If we didn't, then we'd just ride.

A little perspective is crucial. We all have a lot to learn about racing. Nobody is entitled to anything (such as a racing line), but no one should go out of their way to be antagonistic either (forcing a bad situation in a race).

Keep the rubber side down boys, and let your legs do the talking.

Chuck Hutcheson said...

As the races get faster in higher catagories following the guy ahead of you and holding his wheel becomes crucial. It IS the guy in fronts line, and you need to follow it or come around him. If you let that wheel go because you don't like his line through the turn, you may have given him the easiest gap off the front ever - and the guy had to use zero effort to get it. At that point a strong rider will focus on gaining the lead since the initial gap was so easy.