Monday, July 26, 2010

Blacksburg Omnium the TT

It would be a normal race weekend for me if I didnt have some sort of issue, just not possible.

Well after Tour of Washington County I went a head and got a 54t chainring as well as a 100mm deep front wheel. That way I could complete my TT rig to be as efficient as possible.

Having not tested any of it I suppose I should have at least once before a race then I would have made sure everything worked properly. The chainring went on no issues, and wasnt expecting. For a wheel you would expect the same. But after having the wheel for almost 3 weeks I never took it out and test rode it, so I never had to pump it up.

So as I was having a teammate help me inflate the tire with my crack pipe the valve extender came off. And the freaking valve is all the way in the carbon section and I couldnt get back on. We only managed to get 100 psi if that into the tubular. The whole time in warm up and in the race I was very mindful of hitting any rough spots in the road and staying clear of potholes and anything could potentially cause a flat.

After arriving at the course I decided to predrive to get an idea how hilly it was going to be. I knew it was going to be rolling but damn there were some longer climbs, some steep ones, but also some very fast downhill sections with some blind turns.

I warmed up in the vicinity of the school for about 35 minutes trying to have some good steady efforts going up hills and keeping the aero position. About 10 minutes before my start time I head to the car to get my aero helmet, shoe covers and change my jersey.

Pretty much the usual before the start, people eying everyones bike, a few compliments on mine as we all make nervous small talk. I knew I could do well in the TT it is one my strongest abilities, but with an epic road race the next day how hard did I want to go? Just enough to do well basically.

With a holding start, which is always much appreciated, I was off. I start going at a steady pace. 2 minutes in I pass my 30 second man, a few minutes later, minute man, then 1:30, then 2, and so on. One of the memorable parts of the TT were in the last mile when I heard the sound of some hissing. My first though was my tire, are you kidding I flatted, but as I kept going I looked up and saw a lady using a weed-eater and was quickly relieved.

After the finish I made my way back to the parking lot and chat with some of the masters teammates. Of course the usual TT'ers do well and then make jokes at the guys who arent as gifted as some. With a quick pack up and off to the hotel to get cleaned up for dinner.

No comments: