Tuesday, January 11, 2011

trying to get more aero

I have read some pretty informative posts on various forums, some studies done on aero wheels, frames, etc, and then the argument of weight comes into play.

Which is better aero or weight?

Well unless something happens and I can run into a ton of money in the next few months I doubt I will be able to go to a wind tunnel and test for myself so most of this post will be regurgitation of most of what I have read.

Something like 80% of the power needed to move a bicycle down a road is to overcome wind resistance. Is on the drops? on the hoods? or hands on the top of the bars?

Of course this is all relative to the speed at which you are going as well. I have heard / read that 14mph seems to be the magic number when aero benefits seem to start helping, and obviously the higher the speed the more beneficial they become.

I have also read that 40mm seems to be the number at which the depth of the rim starts to produce better aero dynamic benefits.

Any of this true, who knows, those are numbers I keep in my head though.

Having done triathlons for a season by bike racing I have browsed slowtwitch.com a lot and read many threads and posts about how to setup your bike and your position to be as aero as possible.

If getting more aero can result in a higher speed with equal or less power required why not? I eventually plan to start some tests before the up coming season experimenting with a couple different products, aero wheels, frame, replacing bottles with a hydration back (which will probably be the most controversial), and some other goodies.

No comments: