Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Climbing to Jesus

This is spot is reserved for my race report of Tour of Tucker County.

A brief synopsis:

Went into the race with a lot of climbing in the month of a May to prepare me for the race, just under 50,000 ft total. Expected to do well but with recent injuries and an illness lurking I knew I wouldnt be 100%.

After a long ass drive out there on some fun roads, wish i still had my Lotus Elise, and getting a detoured about 45 minutes in the opposite direction we arrive with an hour left. Not much a of a chance for warm up just get the gear ready and sign in.

On the descent to the start line, we heard three blow outs. The start of the race was relatively calm and easy going until the first climb when I found out I couldnt shift into my 39 ring. After the first climb in the 53 I managed to drop from the group and use my shoe to guide my chain into the 39 and catch back up.

I shifted back up to the 53 for the descents which were quite fun but could have been taken at a much higher speeds without so many others on the road, but let caution prevail with safety. I was with the lead group at the base of the climb when I had to drop back some to get back into the 39, in the photos of the race you can see in the back of the group at the start of all the big hills because I didnt want to try doing this in a pack.

The final climb, it was tough, thought it would be longer, probably should have pushed myself harder but finished 7th. Watched teammates and friends finish then headed home thinking 7th doesnt get anything, turns out I won 20 bucks which Ian collected for me to pass on to some teammates, thanks man I appreciate it.

No comments: